Sunday, January 14, 2018

KE in NH, CT, & NY

My oldest, Michaela, is 19.  

Weird. 

She was home for the winter break and hung out with us for a while and that is always fun.  Andrea and Scotty LOVE her and think she pretty much god's gift to our family ...and in some ways she is.  :)




I'm kinda three steps behind where I should be at any given moment in life ....of course there are occasions where I really step up my mom-game and prepare in advance for something...  I'm getting better!  Anyways, sweet Michaela had the joy of being the first one ...and I'm confident it was meant to be this way.  

She's figured things out on her own, signed herself up for things, harassed me to not forget deadlines, and covered for me when I did.  She has pretty much done what she needed to do to get to where she is and for that she is awesome!

Well, she has survived her first year and a half at RIT and thanks to her AP high school credits and a BAE systems internship she managed to secure because she signed herself up for a Women in Technology program in high school ...she is ahead of the game and started early on her first co-op job of college!!!  At Datto.  I have no idea what that is...  They deal with data.  On a computer.  My knowledge of data pretty much tops out at access databases!

Paul and her are now able to have conversations about ...ummm, see I can't even think of fancy computer words to insert here.  Let's just say that the computer science major and mechanical engineer have lots of conversations about lots of computer stuff.  I work in a forest so I just listen and nod.

Since she isn't going to classes, just working this semester Michaela has found herself an apartment, signed the lease, paid a deposit and is now living with random strangers in Rochester, NY.  It just got real.  

See, when your oldest kid is at college with other college kids you still think of them as a kid ...after all they are still running the halls throwing bouncy balls at each other and chasing each other spraying grape soda.  They are for all intents and purposes... giant, stupid kids living unsupervised.

Now she has a job.  She will go to work. Go grocery shopping, shovel her own walkway, check her own tire pressure, and hopefully make her own lunch to take to work...  :) AND pay her own college bills next Fall when she returns to RIT for classes.  WHOO HOOO because $5000 a month is getting pretty tiring.

What was also very weird was watching her drive away when she left.  She was headed to Connecticut to a hotel on a "business trip"...  then to New York to start work this week.  She took her stuff, loaded the car, and left in the car we took her to elementary school in.  

Weird.

Good job KE.  You are kicking butt at this life thing.  We only harass you so you keep going...  :) xoxo






No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails