Thursday, January 11, 2018

Crickets

Well, now I see why I stopped writing ...in Denmark and Germany I could write about the weird and interesting things I was experiencing and here in New Hampshire life has become pretty normal ...but as I type that I realize that maybe my normal has changed...  I am, after all, from California.  (kinda) 

Which, had I been a good little writer when we first got to New Hampshire I might find more things that are weird and interesting, but now they are "normal".  Like a Jug Handle.  Oh look though...  I thought I might have written about that a long time ago ...and SEE HERE ...seems I didn't have much to write about then either.

Okay, well, enough about NOT having enough to write about.  How boring is that.

Okay.  Saturday.

Saturday I bought crickets.  I had a million errands to run.  I literally went to nine different stores doing the dreaded "after-Christmas-returns"...  UGH.  While returning guinea pig treats ...because we had to put down Buttercup, our last, little guinea pig.     Side Note: Talk about a tough day.  We are screwed when it comes time to lose a cat or a dog.  Our family was devastated to lose Buttercup, including me at the vet holding little Buttercup with her sad squeaks.  The worst part was making the choice to put her down and being the one involved.  She was almost 8 years old, which is like 104 in people years.  She became paralyzed and then stopped eating.  Super sad.  We miss you Buttercup!


Anyways ...it just occurred to me that buying crickets might seem weird.  (Which again justifies my prior thought that my "normal" has drastically changed since moving here.)  We have a crested gecko named Squishy.  Squishy likes to eat crickets.  So I have to buy crickets.  Live ones.  Which at first it was really hard to feed a live animal to another live animal, but we've adjusted.  New normal...  seems to be a theme here. **sigh......

SO.  I buy 15 live crickets in the middle of my return-o-palooza, but then I realize that it's too cold to leave the crickets in the car to continue to returning things... and going home is NOT an option.  I can't stop.  My new 32 hour work week has me totally booked Monday through Friday ...and I can only keep track of receipts for so long. 

SO.  I have to take this bag of crickets into every store for the rest of my day.  Which, honestly, I've done before (new normal), but the bag was always small enough to put into my purse.  This bag was huge!!  ...aaaaaaaannndddd thinking about it now, I guess I could have just let some air out of the bag, but that didn't occur to me at the time.

I "had" to hide the big bag in my coat.  So I walked around stores and stood in lines holding a big, fat, air and cricket filled bag in the side of my coat.  It looked like I was stealing things.  One man at Lowes asked me if there was anything I wanted to buy and looked at my coat and I figured out that he thought I was a horrible shoplifter so I said, "oh, it's just crickets" and pulled the bag out.  He didn't say anything.  You're welcome Squishy.

Well.  That was a lot about nothing.  Isn't that like Seinfield?  I hate that show.  Mostly because of Jerry's voice.  It's ridiculously annoying.  Almost worse than a British accent....  or maybe worse?  I'm not sure.  Maybe someone should make a sitcom about my life...  for reals. 
 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails