Tuesday, January 31, 2012

New Favorite Sport


It has come to my attention that Sierra is great at any sport she plays...  With Volleyball there wasn't as much to it...  you just hit a ball over the net... which was hard, but had no real interaction with the other "team/the enemy", but with Basketball Sierra's true colors are showing through.  :)

We should have known "who" Sierra really was, but now that we do know, I can easily go back to one particular incident that will forever stick in my mind...

Long, long ago, Sierra was just a cute little five year old playing soccer in the warm California sun.  Her little pony tail bouncing all over the field chasing the ball happily....  then another girl pushed her over and Sierra fell.  She got off the ground, looked at me as if she was going to cry, and then, in slow motion, I watched all innocence evaporate from her face.  She turned into a little ball of rage and there was nothing that was going to get in between her and that ball.  She ran faster than I ever saw her run, stole her ball back, and proceeded to kick it past everyone and score a goal ...and i'm pretty sure she kicked a few shins along the way.  Cute little Sierra returned in time for orange slices at the end of the game.  :)


It's like this on the basketball court with my now sweet little 11 year old.  :)  She is a little ball of rage, but a really quite talented one!!  My favorite part is when she steals the ball from the other team.  I'm not sure exactly how it happens, but one girl from each team ends up holding the ball and neither one is willing to let go.  In the meantime the rest of the girls just stand by and watch because at this age it's against the rules to add more grabbing hands to the fight. "The Fight for the Ball" often turns to a wrestling match in which Sierra rarely loses.   There is nothing that can pry the ball from Sierra's hands... it's great. :)  It makes me happy.  :)

...and.  When all the other parents watching the game find out Sierra's mine, they tell me how good she is ...and I say thanks...  as if I've done something to make her a sport superstar.  :)

I'm glad she is now doing much better in school so that she was able to play basketball.....  :)

1 comment:

Archaeogoddess said...

Oh YAY! I thought I was the only one to play "tackle basketball"! In gym class the teachers always had to check that we didn't have long nails and we had to remove our earrings before playing basketball. I have a scar from when we played field hockey!

Of course, when we had to play with the boys on Friday, they'd get their panties in a bunch because we weren't playing "by the rules" and wouldn't pass us the ball. Stupid boys, they stink.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails