Sunday, June 29, 2008

London


LONDON.

Most exciting thing: Scotty went Pee-Pee in the Potty!!!!

The night before we left London Scotty and I were having a long discussion about pee-pee and poo-poo while he took a bath. A few minutes after he got out of the bath he announced he had to "go pee-pee in potty". I wasn't too confident it would work out but figured I should go along... so we took off his diaper and I stood him on a stack of towels and he stood there for a second and then went pee pee in the potty!!! It was a super big deal! I was so excited! Nevermind it was 10:00 at night -we rushed down to the lobby to buy candy!!! We all had to get dressed and of course Scotty had to go pee-pee in the potty one more time. We all five went downstairs, bought a big bag of peanut m&ms, and then went to celebrate with ice cream at the hotel restaruant. We were all singing "pee-pee in the potty" and the kids were dancing. This of course, wasn't the most responsible thing I as a parent should have done becuase little Scotty was up "celebrating" until midnight with all those peanut m&m's and chocolate ice cream in his little body.

The next morning he wanted to go pee-pee in the potty again (perhaps to instigate another party complete with singing, dancing, candy, and ice cream!) but we were flying home so I said we'd wait until we got home to the M-house and his little potty. Sorry, I'm not up to a first day of potty training while traveling from London to Copenhagen to Aarhus. :)

So now that we are home and unpacked and life is as normal as it going to get we will see how pee-pee in the potty goes for a while. :) I found his big boy underwear and I'm going to decorate his potty with arrows (which he loves)!

Other than that little event London was exciting too. I thought it was fun I could understand people and read the free newspapers they hand out. Just these little things made me happy because I knew my English was shortlived. The underground tube was great fun too. (...not called a subway. We followed a sign for the "subway" and it was a walkway under the street to the other side of the street.) I liked all the tube lines going everywhere and we only got confused once. We didn't really get lost at all and since I'm a professional bus rider we managed the red doubled decker buses as well.

Rush hour on the underground wasn't exactly fun... it was amusing after we escaped the madness and fought our way aboveground. We were only halfway through our trip but I couldn't take it anymore. It was hot, mashed crowded, airless, stinky... I'm big and pregnant and highly moody so it wasn't the place for me. The girls were not excited about their heads being at "butt-level" either. ;) We shoved our way out, found a bench, and enjoyed fresh air for a while... It was an experience though. I can't believe people do that every day. I rather commute in traffic, in my own car, in my own space, without 85 people trying (and being successful) to shove their way into a space designed to hold 32.

Ouuuhhh - when Londoners/British people get on the bus... they form a SINGLE FILE LINE along the curb. No little old ladies shoving past my two year old to get on the bus first. :)

So. Let's see what did we do? We:
- Rode the London Eye. (big ferris wheel thing)
- Saw Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, and all the other building and churches you are supposed to see.
- Toured the London Tower (a giant castle where people were killed every inhumane way possible many years ago) :)
- Walked across the London Bridge. - It didn't even fall down. (HA. Get it. Like the song??)
- Went to the British muesuem and saw lots of cool things: Rosetta stone, Mummies, Old things dug from the dirt, and more...
- Learned the British Libaray doesn't have a children's section and No, they won't let you look at the Rare Books "just for fun".
- Portobello Road. ...like from Bedknobs and Broomsticks.
- We also went to Harrods shopping store and everywhere else mUm told me to go. :)

We ate yummy ice cream every day. It was so rich Scotty never finished one. :)

I liked the money better than kronners. A pound coin is kinda big and heavy - it feels like it's worth something ($2) On the other hand, a 20 kronner coin ($4) doesn't feel like much. I think pence are cute too. It was crazy expensive though. A happy meal on the menu read 4.00 but then you realize it's pounds, not dollars - so multiply that by two! At least I feel better about Denmark prices now. I rather divide by 5 than multiply by 2. So I just pretended a pound equals a dollar and went about my day.

I don't really feel like getting into it, but we missed our flight to Copenhagen because we thought we left at three instead of noon. Oops. We had to pay 200 pounds... (just think dollars and it's not that bad) for them to rebook us on a later flight and then ended up having difficulties in Copenhagen when we tried to board the plane to Aarhus. We made it home along with our 11 suitcases :) ...and I again vow never to bring that many suitcases, BUT we had to bring all new baby things back. I had zero baby items here - it was all put in storage before we left and nothing was shipped in the container weeks before we left the States. So baby stuff filled 4 entire suitcases and my little girl will be clothed for the next year. So there - not my fault... its hers. (Guess we should start thinking of names huh?)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails