Thursday, June 2, 2011

Don't Eat Your Veggies!

The kids are thrilled and apparently it's world wide news. !!!!

E-coli is in a vegetable that people eat and tons of people are getting sick and even dying ...AND it's been traced back to Hamburg, Germany... where I happen to buy all my groceries. :)

I have been buying less fresh veggies lately, but tonight I actually got scared enough to throw away all the veggies in my fridge. We had gone to dinner at a friend's house and her husband kept telling me all about the deadly veggies and kidney failure and dialysis so when I got home I threw out all the healthiest items in my fridge. Oh well.

It's not really worth the risk and there has to be some link to something in the area... Plus, I don't even like cucumbers. :) But it's not even the cucumber's fault.

When the whole thing came out Germany quickly pointed the finger at Spain and their E-coli ridden cucumbers. Turns out there isn't any proof that the guilty veggie is a cucumber, much less a vegetable from Spain ...and now Spain is suing Hamburg, which makes kinda happy for some reason.

I do feel sorry for cucumber farmers though. I feel like I should keep buying their E-coli Veggies and just throw them away. Maybe they need a "Cucumber Farmer Donation Box" in the veggie aisle...

So my kids are happy not to be eating their veggies, but I think frozen and canned veggies are still okay. I'll look into that one.

Scotty has even been telling me that eating vegetables will make him sick and he could die. Great. Five years of telling The Boy that veggies will make him big and strong and now he thinks they will kill him. :)

5 comments:

C and H Romenesko said...

Yikes! Funny Scotty...veggies won't make you die, but according to Lincoln (2.5) if you die, you get flushed down the toilet. Kids.

Skogkjerring said...

And we think the kids don´t pay attention to what is happening in the world around them....but their little ears are like radars waiting to pick up any news that could benefit them!!! hahahaha!!

We are still eating our veggies here in Norway, although they have been giving us information on how to prevent this bacteria which is basically common sense- washing your veggies before using them and most importantly washing your hands after toilet visits and before working with food! Sad they need to remind people of these things...

franziengland said...

Oh crazy!! I agree with you, it must be hard for the farmers!! We still eat as normal here, maybe I shall be more careful...

Moose said...

I didn't even know about the E-coli incident until my brother called me last night from Houston, Texas.

You know, after reading Amy's comment about being reminded to wash one's hands, I have noticed that most of my friends, as well as husband's family here in Denmark, do not wash their veggies and fruits.

By the way Tara, I truly enjoy your blog.

Michaela said...

Off subject but... in case you didn't know I went away for a week and am now licensed to drive a sailboat. Who needs to be 16 and drive a car when you got a sailboat? XD

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails