Thursday, December 20, 2007

Happy's Birthday



Happy is old-ER.

It was a fairly uneventful day. We ended up eating dinner at McDonalds and visiting with another family for a little bit that night. We then ate the wonderful cake I made (from my stash of American cake mixes). I did try to make my own frosting but I couldn't remember how... sorry mUm, I know you showed me last summer but my frosting ended up tasting like butter. I had to use my one and only American frosting container... so I better figure out frosting before the next cake comes along!

No I didn't fry the cake. It's in a frying pan because I don't have any cake pans here yet. Tomorrow morning we are supposed to get our big container full of our things!!

1 comment:

Holly said...

Hey Tara,

I have some simple buttercream recipies for ya.

Buttercream
1 stick butter
3 & 3/4 C. sifted powdered sugar
3-4 Tbsp. milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Beat the butter w/electric mixer, add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, mix after each addition. Then add the vanilla and milk till consistency you want.
(It's not an exact science...if the frosting is too wet, add more powdered sugar, if too dry, add more milk)

Cinnamon Buttercream - Reduce vanilla extract to 1 tsp. and add 1 tsp. ground cinnamon.

Mocha Buttercream - Use 1/3 C. unsweetened cocoa powder and 3-4 Tbsp. brewed coffee instead of the milk.

Lemon Buttercream - Add 1 tsp. grated lemon zest instead of vanilla and 1/4 C. lemon juice instead of the milk.

Almond Buttercream - replace the 2 tsp. vanilla w/ 2 tsp. almond extract. (probably can do with any extract)

Apricot Buttercream - Use apricot nectar or strained apricot preserves instead of milk. (probably could use any flabor preserve)

Peppermint Buttercream - Add 1/2 cup finely crushed peppermint candy (@ 7 sticks) and 1-2 Tbsp. peppermint schnapps OR 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract instead of the vanilla.

Cream Cheese Frosting - Add 1 pkg. (8 oz) cream cheese to the butter, reduce the vanilla to 1 tsp. and omit the milk.

Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting - Add 1/2 C. unsweetened cocoa powder to the above.

Orange Cream Cheese Frosting - Add 1 Tbsp. grated orange zest and 2 Tbsp. fresh orange juice and omit the vanilla on the cream cheese recipie.

Hope this helps with all your cake frosting needs. Oh, and congratulations on the news of a new baby. We were even, hope this doesn't mean I have to have another (I'm getting too old)!

Love,
Your Cousin Holly

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails